Thursday, October 6

How it’s made: Ursula from The Little Mermaid by K*Rod




I absolutely LOOOVE Halloween, so of course this means that I want a costume that is going to be fun and unique. Last year, during a game of beer pong, Kathryn and I came up with the idea of going as the Little Mermaid and Ursula. I’m not going to lie, making an Ursula costume seemed like quite a feat, but it all came together pretty quickly. Here’s how:



1. I scouted the local thrift stores in Denton to see if I could find anything that would give me an idea of the materials I might need. Luckily for me, Ruth’s Room was having an AMAZING sale where everything in the store was 50% off. I found this awesome corset and a high-waisted long black skirt that reached the floor. The total cost came out to about $5-7.
2. I had the idea of cutting the skirt into sections in order to form the tentacles. I went over to Jo-Ann’s fabrics and bought some purple silk-like fabric, glue sticks (for a hot glue gun), and some thread.
3. Next, after measuring and marking how short I wanted the skirt to be, I cut the skirt into 4 sections up to the mark I had made. Ursula only has 6 tentacles, so I was going to wear purple tights so that my legs would be 2 of the tentacles. After cutting the purple fabric into strips that matched the skirt length, I attempted to sew the purple fabric on. However, this was taking a long time. Soooo, I had to hit up Jo-Ann’s fabrics again for some Heat’n Bond Ultra Hold Iron-on Adhesive Tape. I ended up ironing on the adhesive tape to bond the purple fabric to the skirt.
4. During one of my various trips to Jo-Ann’s I bought some polyester fiberfill to stuff into the tentacles. After doing that, I took some wire cutters and cut metal hangers and ran the hanger into the stuffed tentacle and shaped them upwards. To make sure they would stay up, I hand sewed the back of the tentacles to the skirt. I had previously bought some small suction cups from Wal-Mart and painted them black with some craft paint I already had. I then used the hot glue gun to glue the suction cups to the tentacles.
5. To accessorize the costume, I bought a bag of shells, a black leather necklace strap, some purple craft paint, some earring wires, and a seaweed-looking black and purple garland at Michael’s. I wrapped the black leather strap to the top of a large shell and hot glued it to secure it. I then hot glued the earring wires to 2 small shells and painted them purple. I used some white color hairspray I bought at Wal-Mart to color my hair. Then Kathryn helped with my makeup and doused me in glitter spray.





AND THE REST IS HISTORY!!







No comments:

Post a Comment