Thursday, October 13

how it’s made: Ariel from The Little Mermaid

the little Mermaid


What girl DOESN’T want to be a Disney Princess or mermaid? I mean for real, and at the ripe old age of 24 last year, I decided it was my time to be one. Here’s how I did it.


· The seashell worn on the top is from my Victoria’s Secret bathing suit. Took it off the bandeau top and used to hold the lavender fabric together.

· Purchased lavender bandeau top from some cheap Rave-like store in the mall.


· Purchased glittery lavender fabric for top from Hobby lobby- just folded it so it was the same width as bandeau. I used tape on Velcro on the back to keep it together

· Purchased the fabric for my “fins” from Jo-Anns Fabrics. It was quite perfect with the scale detailing and slight sheen. Basically, I made it into a double wrap skirt; one didn’t cover enough, so I did another going the opposite way on top of the bottom layer and VOILA – looks like a wrap skirt. Multiple safety pins were involved. Especially for the tail- just picked up some green mesh, tied strips of it, then pinned onto the bottom of the skirt.


· Makeup: Lips- Love That Pink from Revlon. Did Lavender on top lid and green on the bottom with mucho glitter to give that glistening “I’m a mermaid” effect. Also used a TON of that spray on multi-colored glitter they sale everywhere around Halloween.

· Hair- Natural Instincts in Raspberry Crème. I literally dyed my hair mermaid red for the costume. Then kept if for almost a year. I just googled the hair color and one of the (bad) reviews is “I look like Ariel.” Hahaha- well that’s PRECISELY what I was going for, and I loved it even out of costume. Oh- and I bought a star fish from Michaels and hot glued a hair clip to the back to make my hair piece


No comments:

Post a Comment