Wednesday, March 23

I heart denton

Nicholas & I have been living in Denton for over 2 years now and I am FINALLY starting to feel like a part of this (very) little city. I mean- I spend most of my time working in Dallas so it’s rather rare to get to experience as much of Denton as I’d like. But I’ve discovered some little places on the Square that make me love love love this town.


The Chestnut Tree
My friend Emily(a fellow NCer) manages at this perfectly quant restaurant and gift shop. I walked in to the smell of fresh baked cookies and the sight of fabulous little sundresses. The shop is open for breakfast and lunch and they have the most refreshing menu around.  Chandeliers and greenery hanging above with dim lighting creates a majestically relaxing atmosphere.

Vigne Wine Shop and deli
Have I mentioned how much I adore red wine? I mean- I survive off of the $3 bottles at Wal Mart on most days of the week just to get my “fix” but I am learning to truly appreciate savoring a glass of wine at Vigne’s weekend tastings. I took my mom when she was in town and we got a great deal of $5 for 4 samples of red wine with the most passionate pourer EVER! He is a TRUE wine coinsurer. I love listening to his explanations of the flavors you’ll find in the wine and where they grapes were grown. I went back a couple of weeks later and we got to sample 9 glasses for $15! The last sample was from a $60 bottle and was seriously to die for. Apparently you get more wine for your dollar on Saturdays because they don’t have to preserve the bottles as they do on Fridays. I haven’t even gotten to the food yet. They have some great classic sandwiches all with a little twist.  The cheese sampler platter with our wine was DIVINE as well as the bruschetta ( and I don’t even eat tomatoes).  If you go- you must try the peanut butter chocolate desert. It’s pretty much a gourmet Reese’s cup and then some.

Ladida.
Really cute boutique. Sells a lot of Judith March. They have some really unique accessories (locally made stuff too) as well as a huge collection of Toms (they even have wedges woo woo). Kinda pricey for my taste, but they always have a stunning selection of sundresses.

Yogurt Fusion.
An entire wall of so many yogurt flavors- cake batter, peaches, red velvet, the list goes on.  Oh- and the toppings bar- to die for. TONs of fresh fruit, chocolate bars cut into pieces, and CEREAL (seriously- try captain crunch). You pay what it weighs. Absolutely my favorite treat and a great location (sorry Yogurt story, a bench on the square is a much better view than the busy highway).

35 conferette (formerly North X 35)
My first  music festival experience. Nice way to get broken in- just a couple of miles from our apartment so we got to go back and forth as we pleased.   Three days of average 72 degree weather- beat that! It’s impossible. Saw some really talented bands. Dr. Dog was my favorite new discovery.  !!!’s (pronounced chic chic chic) lead singer was Freddy Mercury’s child, I swear. His dance moves were beyond entertaining. Big Boi rocked my socks off. I kept thinking “is this really happening” to myself.  I got to hear rosa parks, so fresh & so clean, bombs over Bagdad, kryptonite, I like the way you move, and MRS JACKSON. Dream come true. Honestly if Andre 3000 would have been in attendance- I might have died, so probably a good thing he wasn’t.  It was a pricey pricey weekend but well worth it for the music and the people watching. Denton is such a stylish little city;  thigh high socks, MAJOR pattern tights with shorts, totally vintage dresses, wide rimmed glasses, and the man BEARDS- I knew we had hipsters here but there’s almost entire scenster society right in this little Texas town.

No comments:

Post a Comment