Wednesday, February 1

guest post from Victoria: the right way to loose it & keep it off.

From my darling sister, Victoria Hayden (soon to be registered dietitian):

Statistics show that ~45% Americans set New Year Resolution goals, and ~20% of those goals are usually related to weight loss. But only 8% of people report being successful in achieving those goals…I get asked a lot, so how do I actually achieve weight loss?
I will be registered dietitian in approximately a month (so excited to almost be there!), and  have chosen to concentrate my internship process in adult weight management. Because to me, helping people feel good about themselves through achieving healthy weight loss and preventing co-morbidities like diabetes and heart disease, is probably the most rewarding job on the planet.
The truth is- weight loss is extremely difficult. Yes, you need to burn more calories than you eat to have weight loss, but it is a lot more complex than subtracting 500 calories a day from your diet.
So back to the question, how do I actually attain weight loss? 

  1. RECORD what you eat. Yes this seems silly. But when you right down everything, and I mean serving sizes and all, you can keep yourself accountable.
  2. EAT. Yes. You have to eat to lose weight. 3 meals a day is a minimum, but research shows that 5-6 small, frequent meals a day is the way to go. I know this seems tedious, but think about it. If you are constantly eating small meals, you are using those calories to fuel your body and not storing the extra calories from larger meals. It is a huge misconception that you need to starve yourself to lose weight. If you do that, your body goes into a conservation mode, and conserves all lose calories you are trying to burn off!
Note: When eating a meal, eat a combination of all 3 macronutrients- carbohydrates, protein and fat. Think of the macronutrients as a campfire, the carbohydrates are the gasoline that will initially start the fire, but without the wood, aka- protein and fat, the fire will not last long. You need all 3 of the macronutrients for your body to work properly, to avoid hunger and to be satisfied with the way food tastes.

  1. Be MINDFUL. We generally eat because it is the time of the day to eat, or because we are bored/stressed/sad/happy/etc. Listen to your bodies hunger cues. Do not use food as a coping or reward mechanism. This is a huge struggle for many people, myself included. This is so much harder than it seems, and  it’s okay! But simply being aware of why you are eating will help so much through identifying ways to help the weight loss process.
  2. Set REALISTIC goals. Weight loss takes time, 1-2 pounds a week maximum for healthy weight loss. Most people hate this. But when you lose more than this, you are losing fluid and wasting muscle. We want to lose fat, not muscle! Take your time, and set a goal that is truly attainable.
  3. EXERCISE. Exercising helps not only with weight loss, but also prevent certain diseases, helps deal with stress, cope with depression, and makes you feel great about yourself.
  4. Have a SUPPORT system. Someone you can talk to say that will be proud of you for working out 4 times this week, or someone you can call when you just ate an entire box of Oreos to tell you that it is okay and not to give up on your goals. We all have bad days, and have support is the key to getting through those days.

*side note from me:
Victoria is my support system (which I didn't even realize until I read this). I call her when I’m lacking endorphines from not working out in 3 days and I think I’m going crazy. I call her when I feel guilty about what I ate that day. She makes me rationalize it all and feel better and be PRESENT.  It really helps to have someone there for you…so if you don’t have someone, I am here. Email me- don’t feel weird about it- I’m here to listen. It really helps..

No comments:

Post a Comment