Wednesday, February 23

guest post: megan beasley. rock your style.

Ok so, when Lakathryn asked me to do a guest blog post  on
“how to be the flyest chic in town”
I must say I was sure that I was the right person for the job. I mean, let’s be honest I’m pretty fly for a white guy. But seriously, she mentioned maybe writing about my love for art (particularly body art) and I thought I could do something cooler than that. No one wants to hear me rave about my new super awesome Bubo (Athena’s metal owl from the Clash of the Titans) tattoo that my brother gifted me for Christmas (done by the amazing Dave at Devine St. Tattoo in Columbia, SC) or about the the Centaur outline that is “coming soon” probably when I go to Tejas in June. 

So after discussion, we decided that, since I get told more than anyone else, probably in the world (except GAGA), “Only you could pull that off” that I would write about how to own your look! I have always been a free spirit when it came to my look. As Kathryn knows, to me, style is not about a shirt or having 20 pairs of jeans or 50 pairs of shoes. It is about pairing that shirt with the oddball scarf, vintage bracelet, $10 clearance jacket, the absolute perfect pair of skinny jeans from HandM, simple canvas flats (Vans or Toms) during the day and those boots I got at Rue21 one day for $6 at night, and of course that fly featherband at all times! People ask me on the reg where I shop, and I honestly cannot come up with an answer. I find unique items anywhere from Clothing Warehouse in Greenville, SC, to the amazing stores on South Congress (the “Soho” of Austin, TX/aka SoCo),  to (deep longing sigh) Modcloth.com

The moral of all these plugs is that you don’t have to fall into any category when it comes to your style, just be brave and who cares what other people are wearing, or if people might make fun of you for being your own. I look at it like, hey, at least they are talking about something other than themselves (which, in case you didn’t know is all that women talk about).  As Kinsey Gray knows all too well it’s not easy to walk into my closet and borrow something to wear, for most of my clothes look pretty regular to the “untrained eye”.  Now, if I’m there, I will take that black shirt from American Apparel that I cut up to fit just the way I wanted that Kinsey has been sneering at, throw a big Salvation Army necklace (that has been shamelessly tied together fifty times) on it, a funky vest from Urban Outfitters, point her to the right jeggs and boots, slap some Midnight Cowboy on those baby blues and all of a sudden she’s the hottest chic at the bar!

So sitting here in my  peep toe shoe-string tie wedge mary janes from Lulus.com, pink/brown/purple/blonde hair, beautiful artwork that I wear underneath my clothes, and the art that is my outfit,
I encourage every woman to take chances with your style and with life. 
Be bold, make mistakes, be embarrassed; but most importantly, find out who you are and be yourself.
THE END

meet meagan player beasley. yes player is her middle name.

just hanging out with mary jane. my old car my dad still drives.

from the featherband photoshoot.

rock it.

just being super fly of course. brick walls always help.
circa 2005. first clemson football game of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment